Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 mins
This is something I make when the weather gets colder. Very hearty and filling.
- 1 (14 ounce) bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage links or 3⁄4 lb hot Italian sausage link
- 12 sun-dried tomatoes, not packed in oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons instant minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook tortellini according to the package directions.
- While the tortellini is cooking, remove casings from Italian sausage links.
- Cook sausage in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat; break sausage up in to crumbled pieces and stir occasionally to prevent sticking;.
- While the sausage is cooking, coarsely chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Put chopped tomatoes in a 2-cup glass measuring cup; add 1 cup water and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Let tomatoes stand in water for 5 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are softening, add the chopped onion to the skillet with the sausage; saute/stir for 3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and stir.
- Take the sun-dried tomatoes out of the water using a slotted spoon, reserve the liquid.
- Add the tomatoes and pine nuts to the skillet; stir.
- Cook until the sausage is not pink; if mixture is dry, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup reserved tomato liquid.
- Drain tortellini and transfer to a large (at least 3-quart) serving bowl.
- Add in the meat mixture and parmesan cheese.
- Toss to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.