Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Oh my, this is sooo good. My husband and I both LOVE this. We eat this until we just can't eat any more! If you love chunky stewed tomatoes, garlic and onions...this is for you. The bonus is it's really easy to make. We make it as a side dish but this would be a great main dish for your favorite vegetarian.
- In a 3 or 4qt dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, sugar and 2 teaspoons parsley. Saute until browned a little, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- I use dried parsley most of the time so at this point I add my 1/2 teaspoon parsley to the milk in a small bowl so it can moisten up a little.
- Add the tomatoes, undrained and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and continue cooking about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. You want them to be just boiling lightly.
- Add bisquick to the milk/parsley and stir with fork until most lumps are gone. The mix will be kind of gooey, runny like thick muffin batter. Drop by table spoon fulls onto top of boiling, hot tomatoes. You should get 6 dumplings. They will look small at first but they puff up alot.
- Cook 10 minutes uncovered then cover with lid and cook 10 more minutes, reducing the heat slightly so the tomatoes don't burn. They are done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the dumplings comes out clean.
- To serve, scoop them out and ladel a little of the tomatoes over top of the dumplings to make them look pretty.