Recipe by Darlene Summers
This is a great sauce for spaghetti (you may use hamburger in it also if you wish).
Top Review by Chef Judith Irene
The BEST! I have finally found an easy, delicious Italian Style Tomato Sauce. I didn't have plum tomatoes in the cupboard, so I used Accent Tomatoes we have here in Canada. Thanks for posting!!
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tomatoes in food processor; process on high for 1 minute.
- In Dutch oven on medium heat, sauté onions in olive oil till soft but not browned.
- Add tomatoes, tomato purée and all spices.
- Cook sauce on very low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add a little water if necessary as sauce cooks.