Recipe by Boomette
A recipe from my supermarket.
Top Review by TasteTester
I liked the combination of the mild-tasting tilapia with the salty capers and pungent anise flavor of the fennel. No bland taste here! I made it just as directed, except that I cooked the fennel and onions for 4 minutes as they were still very crunchy after 1 minute. My husband felt the taste of the fennel was very strong, so next time I'll use half the amount of fennel to give the sauce a milder taste, but I liked it just the way it was. I served this with broccoli and wild rice and it made a great presentation -- such a colorful plate of food!
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt in moderation and pepper
- 1 large fennel, heart finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 100 ml chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon blend mixed Italian herbs
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoon of oil and cook fennel and onion for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add broth, capers, oregano or italian herbs and cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet or on a grill. Cook tilapia fillets for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Season to taste with fennel and caper sauce.