Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 4 large fully ripened tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian style breadcrumbs
- Cut off top 1/4 of tomatoes; with a spoon, scoop out most of pulp and seeds; discard.
- Brush outsides of tomato shells with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Place tomatoes in a microwavable dish.
- In a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add onion; cook and stir until it starts to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper; cook and stir 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in beans; bring to a boil; stir in 3 tablespoons of the cheese.
- Fill each tomato shell with the bean mixture, dividing evenly.
- In a cup, combine bread crumbs and remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with crumbs.
- Lightly cover and microwave on high until tomatoes are tender, but retain their shape, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Serve alone as appetizers or on the side with grilled steak, chicken, or fish.