1/1 Photo of Italian Style Stuffed Peppers
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for Italian sausage and rice stuffed peppers with marinara sauce and cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 medium bell peppers (any color variety)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
FILLING (Also add the diced pepper from reserved steamed pepper tops)
- 1 cup cooked instant rice, fluffed
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage, browned
- 25 ounces vegetarian marinara sauce, divided
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons black olives, sliced
TOPPING AND GARNISH
- 1WASH bell peppers; REMOVE 1- 1 1/2 inch off pepper tops levelly using a knife (reserve tops); REMOVE seeds and ribs from peppers with a tea spoon; PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
- 2PREPARE your favorite recipe for quick-cooking rice, to yield 2 cups rice; BROWN 1 pound bulk Italian sausage in a skillet and drain fat.
- 3INTO a large pot (with an accompanying vegetable steamer basket set aside) combine 2 cups water, 3 tablespoons white vinegar, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning; INSERT steamer basket into pot; PLACE peppers cut-side down, along with pepper tops, into steamer insert in pot; COVER; BRING to boiling; BOIL for one minute; REDUCE heat to medium high. STEAM until tender yet firm (about 10 minutes).
- 4CAREFULLY remove peppers and tops from steamer basket using tongs and place onto onto paper towels to drain.
- 5DICE pepper tops around the stems (discard stems); STIR in the diced peppers and cooked sausage to cooked rice, along with 2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese, and 3 tablespoons sliced black olives.
- 6POUR desired amount of marinara sauce into the rice/meat mixture to moisten; SEASON rice/meat mixture to taste with a little Italian seasoning and/or salt and pepper, if desired; BLEND.
- 7POUR enough marinara sauce into an 8 x 8 x 2 square baking dish, just to cover bottom; ARRANGE the steamed peppers upright in baking dish.
- 8STUFF peppers upright, mounding slightly, with the rice/meat mixture; POUR remaining marinara sauce over stuffed peppers.
- 9DIVIDE and distribute shredded mozzarella cheese over prepared peppers; SPRINKLE peppers with remaining parmesan cheese; TOP center of peppers with a whole black olive (or olive slice).
- 10BAKE peppers upright in a baking dish until heated through, about 10 minutes; SERVE and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Style Stuffed Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 738.6
- Calories from Fat 409
- Total Fat 45.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 100.2 mg
- Sodium 3024.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 20.7 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: