1/4 Photos of Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes -Good for Canning
Lois M's Note:
I stewed a whole bushel today, but this is the recipe for one batch. I can these and use them for spaghetti sauce, crock pot chicken cacciatore and anything you would used canned tomatoes for. I never buy canned tomatoes anymore!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Blanch, peel, core and quarter tomatoes.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven.
- 3Add garlic and oregano, cook till garlic is tender and oregano is fragrant (about 2 minutes).
- 4Add chopped onion and peppers and cook until tender (about 5 min).
- 5Add tomatoes and sugar, simmer uncovered about 45 min or until desired consistency (you will need to cook longer if tomatoes are watery).
- 6Place in hot sterilized mason jars, and place in hot water bath, bring water back to the boil and boil for about 20 minutes longer, remove and let cool, re-bath any jars that don't seal.
- 7NOTE: Some people feel that the hot water bath method is not safe for this recipe, and that a pressure canning method should be used, however, I have always done these this way with no problem.
- 8I leave this up to your discretion.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes -Good for Canning
Serving Size: 1 (4914 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.5
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 47.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 31.9 g
- Protein 9.4 g