Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
I was looking to make stewed tomatoes that's close to store brands. I think I did it.
- 4258.62 ml diced tomatoes (about 50 roma)
- 354.88 ml diced pepper
- 591.47 ml diced onions
- 295.73 ml diced celery
- 29.58 ml minced garlic
- 59.14 ml Italian spices
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 14.79 ml celery salt
- 14.79 ml parsley flakes
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 28.39 ml white vinegar
- X the bottom of tomatoes and place 8 in boiling bath of water for about 15 to 30 seconds or until the skin starts to lift up. Then place in ice filled water bath immediately after you take them out.
- Peel and quarter tomatoes. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Sauté garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add onions, peppers, and celery stir till oil gets on all veggies.
- Add Vinegar.
- Add spices and sugar, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Wash canning jars and lids.
- Place lids in warm but not boiling water to soften the rubber.
- Boil water in large pot to place jars into seal.
- Boil in bath for 20 minutes then remove tighten lids and flip on their tops.
- After 15 minutes flip back and they should be sealed. If not sealed repeat bath.
- Store in cool place.
Excellent stewed tomatoes and easy to preserve!! I wasn't sure about the number of tomatoes to use, I had 15 romas and the result was a little heavy on the herbs and salt. I will make adjustments when adding these stewed tomatoes to recipes and next time will use more tomatoes. I love the clear step by step directions which made it easy for a preserving rookie like myself!! Thank you so much for posting!
With an overabundance of tomatoes (I used Roma) wanted to try canning stewed tomatoes and glad I chose this one as the taste wonderful. I followed the recipe right down to counting 50 tomatoes and it was perfect. Directions were so easy to follow for this first time canner of tomatoes. I was so proud of the looks of my jars when finished. I know I'll be using this one every summer when those tomatoes come out.
I started making this recipe in 2010 and it's THE BEST. When making a recipe that needs tomatoes, onions, & peppers, I cheat and put in a jar of these. The flavor is so wonderful. Thanks Chili Dan for sharing this recipe with us.