Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Created this for my hubby who swore he hated Shepherd's Pie--he loved this! Happy to share! :)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdel monte stewed tomatoes, broken up with juice
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup pizza sauce, I used 1 packet Boboli
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 6 cups mashed potatoes (homemade or instant)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- In deep frying pan, sauté ground beef and onion until done. Drain grease.
- Add rest of ingredients except last 4 (mashed potatoes, parmesan cheese, egg and paprika.).
- *Best to fold in the green beans lastly, too, so they don't get all broken up.
- Mix well, and bring to a boil.
- Cook and fold/stir for 2-3 minutes.(Be careful not to wreck the green beans.).
- Pour into lightly greased baking dish, shallow or deep, it doesn't really matter so long as it all fits.
- Stir beaten egg and parmesan cheese into prepared mashed potatoes. *Make sure potatoes are cool enough, though, so when you mix in the egg you don't end up with scrambled egg pieces, and stir in quickly.
- Top pie/casserole with mashed potato concoction.
- You can spread it on, or do dollops, or even pipe it on with a pastry bag and tip to make it pretty.
- Sprinkle tops of potatoes with a little paprika for color.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350 oven for for about 40 minutes until bubbly and potatoes are just lightly browned on the tops.