Recipe by PaulaG
Yet another version of the Italian roast. This is also cooked in the crockpot and is wonderful after a hard day at the office or for a lazy weekend meal. Serve over pasta of your choice with a side salad or steamed veggies for a complete meal. This recipe was printed on the box for my new crocpot.
Top Review by SusieQusie
We also enjoyed this different twist on sometimes boring roast. The meat was moist & fall apart tender. Followed the recipe exactly. It wasn't specified to drain the tomatoes so I didn't. Made just the right amount of "gravy" for a 2 1/2 lb. roast. Thanks for a new idea!
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix (I use my Onion Seasoning Mix Onion Seasoning Mix.)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, creshed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 large celery rib, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb pasta, cooked as per package directions (I use bowties.)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the tomato paste through pepper.
- Rub mixture over the chuck roast and place roast in crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and any leftover rub; cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
- Please note: If you have an older crockpot, it may be necessary to cook roast 8 to 10 hours. My new crockpot cooks in much less time.