Yet another version of the Italian roast. This is also cooked in the crockpot and is wonderful after a hard day at the office or for a lazy weekend meal. Serve over pasta of your choice with a side salad or steamed veggies for a complete meal. This recipe was printed on the box for my new crocpot.
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix (I use my Onion Seasoning Mix Onion Seasoning Mix.)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, creshed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 large celery rib, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb pasta, cooked as per package directions (I use bowties.)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the tomato paste through pepper.
- Rub mixture over the chuck roast and place roast in crockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and any leftover rub; cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
- Please note: If you have an older crockpot, it may be necessary to cook roast 8 to 10 hours. My new crockpot cooks in much less time.