Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
We belong to a Wine club. Occasionally they post food recipes. So far they have all been exceptional but I thought meat loaf is meat loaf--not true. When I finally tried it, it was outstanding. The only one I will make from now on. Now I usually double it and freeze half for a quick gourmet meatloaf when I am busy.
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 mild Italian sausage
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup V8 vegetable juice
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare the ingredients; Remove the sausage from the casings and crumble. Grate the mozzarella. Chop the onion and mince the garlic and cook in butter until they're soft and translucent. Make the bread crumbs. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes, and measure out the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the ground beef, sausage, grated cheese, cooked onions and garlic, bread crumbs, chopped tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Blend about 2/3 of the V-8 juice, the egg and red wine separately, and fold this liquid mix into the dry ingredients.
- Divide the meat mixture into two parts. Form them into long oval loaves and place them on a baking sheet lined with lightly greased aluminum foil. ( You will be sorry if you don't use the foil at clean up time) Brush the loaves with the remaining V-8 juice and dust with a little more dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the temperature at the center reaches 150 to 160°F Allow it to rest for 15 minutes before slicing.