Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was given to my mom by a family friend over 30 years ago and has been enjoyed on many holiday occasions or just on an average Sunday dinner. This dish reminds me of wonderful family gatherings around the table where the only thing that surpassed this comfort food was the laughter and love we all shared. I hope you will experience these moments with this dish.
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb pork side ribs (for flavoring)
- 1 (28 ounce) canof imported Italian plum tomatoes (plain no seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large red onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese (no simutlated cheese)
- 1 (20 ounce) package penne pasta
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (no simulated cheese)
- 1 (8 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
- In a large saucepan saute in extra virgin olive oil (1-2tbs) half of large onion until transparent, then add ground pork and beef season with salt and pepper until cooked. Set aside.
- In another saucepan saute in extra virgin olive oil (1-2tbs) the other half of onion until transparent and then add spareribs and cook for about 10 minutes. Then add whole can of tomatoes, salt and pepper and the tomato puree and cook on medium heat for about an hour-hour and a half. If sauce is evaporating quickly add a bit of water and lower heat. When cooked set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add the pasta, under cook by a minute. Pasta should be a little firmer than "al dente". Strain.
- In a baking dish layer beginning with tomato sauce, pasta, ground meat, followed by velveeta cheese and sprinkling of romano and parmesan cheeses. Continue layering until all ingredients are used. Baked in oven at 400 degress until cheese is melted.
- Stir and serve.