Recipe by Lisa1
I pretty much lived on this in younger years. My own recipe out of necessity. These days, I can afford to add thyme if the mood strikes.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained, broken up (or use diced tomatoes)
- 8 ounces lentils (1/2 of a 1lb. package)
- 5 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen leaf spinach (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except spinach and cheese in a lg. pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover. Simmer 40 to 60 minutes.
- Add spinach during last 10 minute of cooking if using.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.