Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Don't second guess the cream cheese cubes--it's wonderful! Can freeze either prior to or after baking.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomatoes (diced or crushed)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons salt (approximately)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, diced
- 3 -4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 -2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄2-1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, prepared according to package directions and drained
- Fry together ground beef and Italian sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- Add onion, celery and garlic; cook about 5 minutes.
- Add to meat mixture the remaining 8 ingredients; cook covered for 30-45 minutes, adding small amounts of water if necessary and stirring frequently. Mixture should be relatively thick. Remove from heat and stir in minced parsley.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease lasagna baking pan.
- Layer a small amount of meat sauce in bottom of baking pan (about 1 cup), topping with about 5 noodles, overlapping slightly. Top lasagna noodles with more sauce, several pieces of cream cheese and the 3 cheeses all equally divided between remaining layers. Repeat until sauce, noodles and cheese are used up.
- Cover baking pan with foil (can grease underside of foil, too) and bake 40 minutes; remove foil from pan and return to oven, baking an additional 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
This is definately a GREAT lasagna!! I was expecting "just another lasagna", but this one really excited me! Thanks so much- will be making again!! Oh- and thanks for the wonderful tip on spraying the aluminum foil with oil! DEFINATELY need to remember that- :)
Delicious! I also cut the recipe in half but used a 9X7 inch baking dish. The noodles fit perfectly in the pan with three layers of three noodles overlapping a bit. I used a sweet Italian sausage. Loved the flavor of the sauce. I did add an additional oz of cream cheese giving me 1 oz per layer. The cream cheese doesn't melt but does give you a nice burst of cheesiness when you bite into it. Thanks for posting. :)
An extra cheesy delicious lasagna recipe added to my favorite recipezaar recipes binder! Made two 9 inch square casseroles, exactly as written, and froze one unbaked for later. I spread the lightly cooked lasagna noodles in a single layer on a lightly oiled cookie sheet to prevent sticking while assembling the lasagna. Served with garden salad and garlic bread.