Recipe by Inge 1505
Can be well prepared ahead or frozen.I usually serve them with polenta and a green salad, but it is good over brown rice or with crusty bread, too.A savory dish, make it spicier by adding some red pepper flakes.
Top Review by AimeeR
I was afraid that I was not going to like this as I am rather picky (yes I admit it). But it was SO good! I did add chicken broth to keep the moisture up and cooked it a bit longer This is definitely going to be in my dinner rotation.
- 1 1⁄2 ounces bacon, in 1/8 inch dice (2 slices)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, minced (1 medium)
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, minced (1 medium)
- 1⁄3 cup celery, minced (1 medium stalk)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced (sub with 1/4 t dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cook bacon in oil over medium high heat until transparent, 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, carrots, celery, parsley and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf and red pepper flakes if using. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Rinse and drain beans and add to tomato sauce. Cook another 15-20 minutes without cover, until thickened to a sauce consistency.
- Taste with salt and pepper. Be careful with the salt, as the bacon is already salty.