1/3 Photos of Italian-Style Kidney Beans
Inge 1505's Note:
Can be well prepared ahead or frozen.I usually serve them with polenta and a green salad, but it is good over brown rice or with crusty bread, too.A savory dish, make it spicier by adding some red pepper flakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 ounces bacon, in 1/8 inch dice (2 slices)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, minced (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup carrot, minced (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup celery, minced (1 medium stalk)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced (sub with 1/4 t dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Cook bacon in oil over medium high heat until transparent, 1-2 minutes.
- 2Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, carrots, celery, parsley and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes, bay leaf and red pepper flakes if using. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer 10 minutes.
- 4Rinse and drain beans and add to tomato sauce. Cook another 15-20 minutes without cover, until thickened to a sauce consistency.
- 5Taste with salt and pepper. Be careful with the salt, as the bacon is already salty.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian-Style Kidney Beans
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.4
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 729.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 10.3 g