1/3 Photos of Italian-Style Kidney Beans
Inge 1505's Note:
Can be well prepared ahead or frozen.I usually serve them with polenta and a green salad, but it is good over brown rice or with crusty bread, too.A savory dish, make it spicier by adding some red pepper flakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 ounces bacon, in 1/8 inch dice (2 slices)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, minced (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup carrot, minced (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup celery, minced (1 medium stalk)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced (sub with 1/4 t dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1Cook bacon in oil over medium high heat until transparent, 1-2 minutes.
- 2Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, carrots, celery, parsley and rosemary and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes, bay leaf and red pepper flakes if using. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer 10 minutes.
- 4Rinse and drain beans and add to tomato sauce. Cook another 15-20 minutes without cover, until thickened to a sauce consistency.
- 5Taste with salt and pepper. Be careful with the salt, as the bacon is already salty.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian-Style Kidney Beans
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.4
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 729.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 10.3 g