Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From "Brassicas" by Laurel B. Russell. Greens substitute for the more familiar escarole in this soup. Alas, the rabbits found my Chinese broccoli, so this will have to wait until I get to market. I anticipate possible reducing the amount of salt.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces chinese broccoli, tender stems and leaves chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper
- additional parmesan cheese, I think shaved would be pretty (to garnish)
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, water, rice and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Add the Chinese broccoli, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10-15 minutes, until the stems are tender and the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the Parmesan, ladle into bowls, and garnish with additional Parmesan and ground black pepper.