Recipe by Suzy_Q
This is a recipe from my best friends Italian mother. I have made it with her before so I know what's in it and approximate quantities. It is different than my mothers chili but I have grown to love it. The whole garlic cloves may seem strange at first but it really makes it special and has become my favorite part of the meal. LEAVE THEM WHOLE! There is a variation to this recipe : use 2 cans of beans OR 1 can of beans and 2 crumbled soy burgers. (I prefer the soy burger version). I added the corn option because I LOVE this chili with corn, but it was not part of the recipe (recommended though!). Served over brown (or white) rice this is a simple, healthy dinner you can serve to anyone. Freezes great and keeps awhile that way.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 (8 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, whole (do not chop!)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (the vegetarian kind of you don't eat anchovies)
- 1 cup corn (optional)
- hot sauce (Cholula chili-garlic is the best)
- salt & pepper (if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic cloves and green pepper. Saute for about 8 minutes and then add kidney beans, stewed tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, cumin, worcestershire, corn and hot sauce. Simmer for about an hour until thickened and flavors have melded. Season if necessary. Serve over rice.
- *VARIATION : if using ground soy burger, saute it in the beginning with the onion/garlic/pepper combo.