Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This tastes even better the next day and freezes well also --- serve this on cooked spaghetti with crusty bread on the side, all ground beef or Italian sausage meat may be used if desired --- plan ahead this sauce needs some time to cook, the longer you cook it the thicker and richer it will be, you may also make this in a crockpot --- the recipe may be doubled, adjust the chili powder and all ingredient amounts to taste, try not to omit the Italian pepperoni, it really adds extra flavor to this dish! :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried red chili pepper flakes (to taste) (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (26 ounce) jar three-cheese pasta sauce (I use Classico brand four-cheese pasta sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 lb button mushroom (or to taste)
- 2 -3 ounces italian pepperoni, diced
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder (can use more)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cooked spaghetti
- parmesan cheese (to taste)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in ground beef, Italian sausage meat, onion, garlic, chili flakes and bell pepper; cook until the meat is browned breaking up meat with a spoon while cooking; drain fat.
- Add in spaghetti sauce, beef broth or water, tomatoes with juice, mushrooms, pepperoni, bouillon powder and chili powder and cumin; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally (add in a little more water or broth if the mixture is too thick).
- After 1 hour of cooking season with salt and pepper and add in kidney beans, continue cooking for 30 minutes more (or a little longer).
- At the end of cooking stir in the cheddar cheese or you may sprinkle on top in place of the Parmesan cheese.
- Ladle on top of cooked spaghetti, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to taste.
This was an excellant dish. i will be making this again in the near future
Hey....just made this and it is superb!!! Just for personal preference....I put half alfredo sauce (Classico's roasted red pepper) and half the spaghetti sauce suggested and it is just a creamier chili sauce:) I love cheese!!! Mmmmmmmmm. Thanks
DEEEEEEElicious! this is one of your top recipes Kit, we absolutely loved this chili, thank you Kit