1/1 Photo of Italian-Style Braised Chard
Anne Sainz's Note:
This is a recipe adapted from “Wild About Greens” by Nava Atlas. I simplified the instructions and made some changes so it is more in keeping with our Nutritarian eating style. You can reduce prep time by using frozen onions and mushrooms and jarred garlic. This also would be good with 2 oz cooked whole wheat pasta per serving mixed in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces chard leaves, any variety, chopped
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup olive, pitted and sliced (I like Kalamata, packed in brine)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or 1/4 cup water
- 1Chop chard and set aside. I like to cut it into crosswise strips then cut the strips into 2 inch pieces.
- 2Prepare onion, garlic and mushrooms and set aside. They may be put in the same bowl since they will be added at the same time.
- 3Chop olives and mix with tomatoes beans, parsley, Italian seasoning and basil. Set aside.
- 4Coat large covered frying pan or dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) with oil. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms and sauté over medium heat until soft, adding small amounts of sherry or water if needed to prevent sticking.
- 5Add rest of sherry and as much chard as will fit. Cover and allow greens to wilt down briefly, mixing so chard wilts evenly. Continue to add the chard until all of it is in the pan.
- 6Cook until chard is wilted but still bright green, about 2 minutes.
- 7Stir in tomato, olive, bean mixture and heat through, stirring frequently.
Browse Our Top Chard Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chard Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian-Style Braised Chard
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 94.7
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 318.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium black beans