Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe is wonderful for gift giving. Include a packet of corn bread or muffin mix in a basket with a couple of nice soup bowls. Recipe comes from Gifts from a Jar Soups, Chiles and More.
Top Review by Chef on the coast
If I could give this a 10 I would! I quarupled the recipe as I was making this for an Italian church dinner we were having. I used all your seasoning and soup ingredients. I did alter the medium pasta shells though for Three Cheese Tortellini. Kind of a spendy pasta - but it was on sale so splurged. It was a great addition! I also added 1 lb ground sausage. Everyone that ate it LOVED it. It was served with parmesan cheese and croutons. Made for the March Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
- 1 3⁄4 cups dried great northern beans or 1 3⁄4 cups dried navy beans
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, unwrapped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 5 -6 cups water
- 1 cup canned pasta sauce
- 8 ounces Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To made the mix: layer the beans in a 1 quart jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Combine the onion, basil, bouillon cubes, parsley, garlic and pepper in a small food storage bag; close bag.
- Place the seasoning bag over the beans, spreading out bag to cover beans; add pasta shells.
- Close jar, cover top of jar with fabric; attach gift tag with raffia or ribbon.
- Attached directions to preparing soup to jar.
- Remove the pasta and seasoning packet from jar; set aside.
- Place the beans in a large bowl; cover with water and soak for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain beans; discarding the water.
- Combine the soaked beans, water, pasta sauce and contents of seasoning packet in Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add the pasta and spinach; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Season to taste, serve with grated Parmesan cheese.