Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mom fixed these for the Christmas and I had to have her make another batch the next day when my sister ate the last. From Food Network's Everyday Italian. Original recipe calls for pancetta but it shreds too much. Cannellini beans are Italian white kidney beans.
- 6 ounces bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light molasses
- 6 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook bacon in a heavy oven-safe pot over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer to oven and bake, uncovered, until the bean mixture bubbles and thickens slightly, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
I use this as a side dish when serving Italian beef sandwiches. I usually just use one onion and cover the dish with foil during first half of baking time. A nice alternative to other baked beans.