Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy and tasty stuffed zucchini with Italian sausage and cheese.
- 2 large zucchini (about 1 1/2 lb)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry small shell macaroni
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and hollow out, leaving shell 1/8 thick.
- Chop pulp and measure 2 cups.
- Cook sausage, crumbling meat as it cooks.
- Add zucchini pulp, onion, and garlic to the sausage, and continue to cook until sausage has lost all pink color.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions and drain in colander.
- Drain fat from sausage and combine with macaroni, tomato, cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano and salt, mixing well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush inside of zucchini halves with olive oil and salt lightly.
- Mound the filling in the halves and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Add about 1/2 cup or more of water, cover with foil and bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Oh YUM. I made this the other day and substituted the macaroni with orzo and used 4 medium sized zucchini. It was absolutely perfect!
Guess it is great - printed out again unknowingly that I had tried it already and again it got lots of star ratings from family. Used 1 pound each hamburger and chorizo sausage and 1 cdn diced/drained tomatoes instead of fresh. Doubled recipe and no leftovers