Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This sounds interesting with the addition of capers. From Weight Watchers Slim Ways Hearty Meals.
- 4 cups lettuce, shredded
- 8 ounces solid white tuna, water-packed, chunks drained flaked
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed drained
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf Italian bread (8 ounces)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- To prepare salad, in medium bowl, combine lettuce, tuna, onion and capers; set aside.
- To prepare dressing, in small jar with tight-fitting lid or small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, garlic, oregano, pepper and salt; cover and shake well or, with wire whisk, blend until combined.
- Pour dressing over salad; toss to combine.
- Split bread lengthwise almost all the way through; spread open.
- Line bottom half of bread with tomatoes; top evenly with salad mixture.
- Replace top half of bread to enclose.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours, until chilled and flavors are blended.
- Cut loaf crosswise, through plastic wrap, into 4 equal portions.
- SERVING (ONE-FOURTH OF LOAF) PROVIDES: 1 Fat, 3 1/4 Vegetables, 1 Protein, 2 Breads.
- PER SERVING: 310 Calories, 8 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 24 mg Cholesterol, 759 mg Sodium, 37 g Total Carbohydrate, 4 g Dietary Fiber, 21 g Protein, 102 mg Calcium; 6 points.
Boy did this ever hit the spot on a hot and humid day. I have always loved capers in tuna so I know that this was going to be a hit right off. Mixing it together works really well because it helps to keep the filling from squishing around in the bread, very nifty and delicious. :D
This is a wow sandwich. DBF usually doesn't do anything that he thinks may be "diet food" - He was none the wiser on this one and enjoyed it almost as much as I did. I was concerned at first about mixing the lettuce up with the tuna, as it is different than how I usually make my tuna sandwiches. I was very pleasantly surprised because the lettuce added a lot more bulk to the sandwich without adding a lot of extra calories and it tasted delicious!
This is a great light tuna sandwich!!Thanks lazyme for sharing!!