Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Glamour's "How To Do Anything Better" guide, Feb. 2005.
Make and share this Italian Stuffed Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Bring a medium sauce pan of salted water to a boil.
- Add rice and simmer over medium heat until just cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Rinse rice under cold water, drain well.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a small baking dish with 1 tsp oil.
- Cut a 1/2 inch slice off top of each tomato, reserve.
- Scoop seeds, pulp, and juice from each tomato into a small bowl.
- Place hollowed tomatoes in the prepared dish.
- Add 2 tbsp tomato pulp to rice and toss to coat, stirring in basil, parsley, garlic, and remaining tbsp of oil.
- Stir in parmesan and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon rice mixture into hollowed tomatoes and replace tops.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until rice is heated through.
This is a good recipe. Has a nice flavor and is easy to put together. My tomatoes were about medium size and I think the recipe is actually intended for large tomatoes so I used 4 and cut the cooking time by about 5 minutes. The only complaint I had with this recipe is that the directions for cooking the rice is not included. I used Steamed White Rice to cook the rice. Overall an enjoyable side.