This recipe is from Taste of Home and features golden, caramelized onions and creamy roasted garlic. For some extra heat, add red pepper flakes while sauteing the onions.
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely chopped or 4 ounces bacon, strips finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided (plus 1 t)
- 4 cups onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic, bulb whole
- 3 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook pancetta in 1 T olive oil until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- In same skillet, cook and stir onions until softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cook, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and pancetta.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves).
- Cut top off of garlic bulb.
- Brush with remaining oil.
- Wrap bulb in heavy duty foil.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until softened.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; stir in goat cheese and onions.
- Brush mushrooms with oil.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 inches from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Fill mushrooms with onion mixture; sprinkle with cheeses.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with basil.