Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from Taste of Home and features golden, caramelized onions and creamy roasted garlic. For some extra heat, add red pepper flakes while sauteing the onions.
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely chopped or 4 ounces bacon, strips finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided (plus 1 t)
- 4 cups onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic, bulb whole
- 3 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook pancetta in 1 T olive oil until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- In same skillet, cook and stir onions until softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cook, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and pancetta.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves).
- Cut top off of garlic bulb.
- Brush with remaining oil.
- Wrap bulb in heavy duty foil.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until softened.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; stir in goat cheese and onions.
- Brush mushrooms with oil.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 inches from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Fill mushrooms with onion mixture; sprinkle with cheeses.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with basil.
What a great idea for lunch! I made them when a friend was coming and we both thought they were delicious!
I didn't have any fresh basil....we had a windstorm a couple of days ago and everything in the garden was destroyed....so had to use dried. Even with that, these mushrooms are amazing! I could have just eaten the onion, pancetta, goat cheese mix by itself with a spoon! Not healthy, but delish!! I halved the recipe, but left the garlic alone. For a 'garlic-a-holic' perfection, for everyone else, only squeeze half the garlic in if you are halving the recipe. Thanks so much for sharing this delicious recipe! Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag.
Wonderful recipe. I embellished a bit with extra basil, as we love fresh basil. Made for Photo Tag game. :)