Recipe by Lainey6605
This recipe is from Taste of Home and features golden, caramelized onions and creamy roasted garlic. For some extra heat, add red pepper flakes while sauteing the onions.
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely chopped or 4 ounces bacon, strips finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided (plus 1 t)
- 4 cups onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic, bulb whole
- 3 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook pancetta in 1 T olive oil until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- In same skillet, cook and stir onions until softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cook, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and pancetta.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves).
- Cut top off of garlic bulb.
- Brush with remaining oil.
- Wrap bulb in heavy duty foil.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until softened.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; stir in goat cheese and onions.
- Brush mushrooms with oil.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 inches from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Fill mushrooms with onion mixture; sprinkle with cheeses.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with basil.