Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These incredible mushrooms are yummy--very simple to make and yet elegant enough to serve. They can be served over pasta with tomato sauce as well!
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2⁄3 cup minced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2⁄3 cup ricotta cheese (can use low-fat)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking dish.
- Wipe or brush any soil off the mushrooms.
- Remove the stems and discard or save for making mushroom broth or veggie stock.
- Rinse caps and pat dry with a towel.
- In a skillet, warm 2 T.
- of the oil and saute the onions for about 5 minute.
- ,or till they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and peppers and saute for 5 minute.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the basil, cheeses, salt, and bread crumbs.
- Stir the sauteed vegetables into the mixture.
- Brush the portabellos with the remaining T.
- of oil and place them gill side up in the baking dish.
- Spread cheese mixture on the caps as equally as possible.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, until the mushrooms release their juices and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
These were a great start to the Italian dinner I fixed last weekend. Fresh basil is the key! I could have eaten them all myself!! Thanks.
These were soooo good and were really easy to make. My bf had to call me again this morning and tell me how good they were. The package of mushrooms I bought had 5 in it so I ended up chopping the extra one up and adding it to the sauteed vegetables. You can never have enough garlic so I added an extra clove also. I served it with marinara sauce and a side salad and we were all stuffed. It was very filling. The only problem was that there was three of us so we had to fight for the last one. Thanks Kimke for a great recipe. I'll definitely be making it again.