Recipe by Kimke
These incredible mushrooms are yummy--very simple to make and yet elegant enough to serve. They can be served over pasta with tomato sauce as well!
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2⁄3 cup minced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2⁄3 cup ricotta cheese (can use low-fat)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly oil a baking dish.
- Wipe or brush any soil off the mushrooms.
- Remove the stems and discard or save for making mushroom broth or veggie stock.
- Rinse caps and pat dry with a towel.
- In a skillet, warm 2 T.
- of the oil and saute the onions for about 5 minute.
- ,or till they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and peppers and saute for 5 minute.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the basil, cheeses, salt, and bread crumbs.
- Stir the sauteed vegetables into the mixture.
- Brush the portabellos with the remaining T.
- of oil and place them gill side up in the baking dish.
- Spread cheese mixture on the caps as equally as possible.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, until the mushrooms release their juices and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.