Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Serve these chilled appetizers at your next cocktail party. Absolutely gorgeous !
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh,chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato, softened and minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pepperoni, diced
- 24 pepperoncini peppers (mild, pickled peppers)
- Soak the tomatoes in warm water for 20 minutes before mincing.
- Blend together the cream cheese, basil, garlic,tomatoes and pepperoni.
- Cut the tops off the pepperoncinis and remove the seeds.
- Fill with the mixture, cover and refrigerate 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve chilled.
Since pepperoncinis seem to be something people either love or hate, I served these along with several other appetizers to offer a choice. Sure enough, a couple of guests didn't go near them. But the pepper lovers in the crowd thought this stuffed version was very different and very good. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to manage the "gorgeous" part. After trying everything I could think of to squirt/spoon/stuff the filling into the cavity, I finally had to give up and cut a slit down one side to spoon it in. Messy-looking, but tasty. There were 3 or 4 left over -- which I stuck in the fridge and promptly forgot. Two days later, I spotted them and took a bite. Omigosh! The flavor had improved enormously! I'll definitely try this recipe again, allowing a lot more 'lead time' between preparation and serving...and maybe investing in a pastry bag. :)