Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A quick and easy appetizer that I adopted after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet prepared it, but will add input when I have a chance.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 large mushrooms, stems removed and chopped, caps reserved (about 2-inch-diameter)
- 1⁄2 cup fennel bulb, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Fontina cheese, grated or 1⁄2 cup gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 large egg
- additional olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish with oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped mushroom stems, fennel, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Sauté until stems and fennel are tender and beginning to brown, about 12 minutes; transfer to medium bowl.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Mix in cheeses, then basil.
- Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in egg.
- Arrange mushroom caps in prepared dish, cavity side up.
- Brush mushroom cavities lightly with additional oil.
- Mound filling in mushroom cavities, pressing to adhere.
- Bake until mushrooms are tender and filling is heated through, about 25 minutes, and serve.
This was too much work for not much flavor.