Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mom would make these for special occasions and holidays. They taste good hot or at room temperature. She would make about 100 of these at a time and never measured the ingredients, so what I have here is just approximate amounts. I've given the amounts for about 36 mushrooms here.
- 36 mushrooms, medium sized
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned bread crumbs (I use Progresso)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (more if necessary)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350F/180°C.
- Brush off any dirt from mushrooms, remove and finely chop stems and put caps aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet and add chopped stems, onion, pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, about 3-5 minutes, until onions have softened.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Stir in bread crumbs, parmesan, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. If mixture seems a bit dry, add a little more olive oil.
- With your hands, fill mushroom caps with mixture. Place on oiled baking sheet with lip or jellyroll pan. Drizzle a few drops of olive oil onto each mushroom.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden and hot.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Thanks for sharing this recpie!!!!I they were a hit!
This is fantastic recipe! After making the first batch, I had to stand guard over the second batch because my family liked them so much. Great for parties or just when you want some snack for watching an evening movie.
Great and easy! I served them on a platter with Recipe #43396, which was a very nice combination. I used a green pepper, since the red were pretty expensive this week, and I also used homemade bread crumbs seasoned with basil, oregano, and garlic powder. Thanks for a keeper!