Recipe by CareCook
Meatloaf gets flair with this moist, Italian flavored meatloaf stuffed with cheese, spinach, and roasted peppers.
Top Review by CulinaryExplorer
We are giving this a 4 star rating based on taste alone. However we had some issues with this. It didn't seem to want to cook through. After the hour I took it out and checked it and it was practically raw except on top, so I put it back in and kept checking it after about 15 minutes. It ended up taking an additional 45 minutes or so and really could have gone longer but we were tired of waiting. There were still undercooked (pink) sections in the center. It also produced a LOT of liquid. Partway through the first hour is when I noticed it and not having made too many meatloaves I wasn't sure it if was normal or not so I started suctioning some out. By the time we took it out after the extended time I must have suctioned out 4-5 cups of liquid if not more and the meatloaf itself was still nice and moist so it was definately not needed lol. I am not sure if it was because our meat was semi frozen in spots still or what, so I won't fault the recipe for that. I really am not sure why we had so many cooking issues, but in the end we were able to mostly salvage it and as I said before the taste was worth the effort. We did find it somewhat bland alone, and maybe it needs more seasonings, but with ketchup (our topping of choice) we felt it was much better.
- 2 lbs ground sirloin (I also added 1/3 lb ground turkey breast)
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup tomato juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (I used shredded Mozzarella) or 4 ounces provolone cheese (I used shredded Mozzarella)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen spinach (I used chopped fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, roasted, jarred, chopped (I roasted my own fresh with olive oil spray 10 min at 425 degrees)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine in large bowl: sirloin/turkey, egg, tomato juice, salt and pepper, garlic, oregano, onion.
- Put 1/2 mixture in 9x5x3 loaf pan coated with cooking spray. (I could only find 11x5x3 sorry!).
- Layer on Cheese, Spinach, Peppers.
- Cover with remaining meat mixture.
- Bake for 1 hr, until meatloaf is done.
- cool to room temp, wrap, freeze up to 3 months.
- remove from freezer, thaw.
- bake at 350 degrees for abt 20-30 min until heated through.
- OR, slice and re heat in microwave.
- can top with a bit of spaghetti sauce if desired.
- comes with frozen italian green beans and/or ww pasta :).