Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Surprise the hungriest of appetites with a gargantuan serving of this satisfying vegetable dish. Toasted sunflower kernels add unexpected crunch. This is a meatless version, made to be low-fat, low-cal. You could certainly add any meat you may have in mind for a change.
- 2 medium eggplants
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups zucchini, diced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Wash eggplants and cut in half lengthwise. Carefully remove pulp, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells.
- Chop pulp, and set aside 2 cups. (Reserve remaining pulp for another use). Set eggplant shells aside.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Stir in 2 cups eggplant pulp, tomato, and tomato sauce.
- Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in rice and next 4 ingredients.
- Arrange eggplant shells in a shallow baking dish coated with cooking spray; spoon vegetable mixture evenly into shells.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; bake 5 additional minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve eggplant boats on individual plates and garnish if desired.