Recipe by ratherbebaking
We have this every Christmas morning. Needs to be made the day before serving.
Top Review by Stylin'Dog
This is a tasty brunch dish that our guests enjoyed. I used hot Italian sausage and followed this well-written recipe exactly. Next time I might add some chopped red or green peppers for colour. Thanks to "ratherbebaking" for posting this.
- 1 lb sausage
- 12 ounces French bread or 12 ounces Italian bread
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms, drained
- 6 large eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, cook sausage, drain.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, bread and mushrooms.
- Put in prepared pan.
- In same large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings.
- Pour over bread mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour. Sprinkle evenly with cheeses.
- Bake 15 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.