Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An Italian broth with Egg strings.
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups canned chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan bring stock to a boil over moderate heat.
- In a bowl beat together the eggs, Parmesan and parsley.
- Reduce the heat to low and drizzle egg misxture into stock, gently stirring.
- Simmer, stirring, just until eggs are set.
- Season with salt and pepper. Because the parmesan cheese tends to be salty, I would eliminate the additional salt until soup is ready. Taste for flavour and then add salt as required.
I grew up eating this and it is exceptional with the addition of lemon zest and nutmeg to taste....heavenly........just made it for my daughter who had her wisdom teeth pulled!!!
Very simple and elegant soup! Nice flavor!! We enjoyed it and will be serving it again!
This is my type of comfort food. I loved it. This is the soup that I'm serving at my next dinner party. It's light, spicey, has great texture, and is so easy to make. Delicious! Thanks, Toolie, for posting it.