Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very dense cake that has a distinct tomato flavour and the addition of spices gives it a good accent that adds to the taste of this vegetable cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup carrot (grated)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour a 13" by 9" by 2" baking pan
- Assemble dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and put aside
- Pour stewed tomatoes, sugar and eggs in a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and use mixer on medium speed for 4 minutes until nice and creamy smooth.
- Stir in carrots and coat completely into batter
- Pour batter into pan and put in oven for 30 minutes or until cake tests done
- Pour into greased and floured cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- If desired ice cake when cooled.
I've never heard of putting tomatoes in cake, but I had some carrots that needed used up, so I tried it. Went together really well. I'm not wild about it, but it's not bad. My six year old did not like it, and the toddler did.