Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is a great Italian 'stew' served with Polenta...it's a perfect comfort meal!!
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork shoulder or 2 1⁄2 lbs country-style pork ribs, cubed 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Place peppers, onion and garlic in crock pot.
- Heat oil in large skillet over med high heat, cook pork in batches 4 to 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Place in crockpot.
- Add tomatoes and wine to skillet. Bring to a boil over med heat, scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet (deglaze).
- Pour over pork. Add remaining ingredients except flour and water to slow cooker.
- Cook covered on low heat 7 to 9 hours or until pork is fork tender. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and water. Whisk into liquid in crockpot. Increase heat to high; cook 15 minutes or until thickened.
I have had this recipe since 02/07 and have made it several times. Made the recipe with pork shoulder and did not use orange zest. This is an excellent recipe. You will have raves when you make it. JA