Recipe by ClareVH
This is more of a technique than an actual recipe. So feel free to use your favorite meatball recipe here. This technique is great for OAMC (see freezing tip) and you skip the tedium of rolling individual meatballs. This recipe is from Pillsbury Classic Cookbook #283 (Sept 2004).
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil (heavy-duty is best); spray foil with non-stick spray.
- Beat egg in a large bowl, mix in all remaining ingredients (hands work best; I wear latex gloves).
- Shape the beef mixture into an 8-inch square on the foil-lined pan and cut into 36 squares; do not separate squares.
- (I recommend using a pizza wheel or metal dough scraper to cut the squares - you are less likely to cut through the foil and mar the pan.).
- Bake at 425 F for 20 to 25 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center.
- Cut apart meatballs (again I prefer to use a pizza wheel or metal dough scraper).
- Use as needed in any recipe calling for meatballs.
- Freezing Tip: Freeze meatballs individually first, then separate into recipe-sized portions and place in freezer containers or freezer bags; Use within 2 months.