Top Review by Janet W
I make these same cookies with only 1 exception I use 1 Cup of Vegtable Oil instead of the shortening...They are very good and for Christmas I usually use green and red jimmies just to make it look a little festive for the holidays. This recipe makes a very large batch so make sure your hungry :)
- 6 large eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder (plus 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (1 lb) box confectioners' sugar
- colored sprinkles (jimmies)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a heavy-duty electric mixer on high speed, beat eggs until light and foamy, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar and baking powder; gradually add shortening and extracts until a bead-like texture is formed.
- Gradually add beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes.
- The tops of the cookies will not brown, but the bottoms should brown slightly.
- For glaze, combine milk and extracts in a large bowl.
- Add sugar; whisk until all lumps are dissolved and the glaze is smooth.
- As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly immerse two or three at a time into the glaze. Remove with a slotted spoon or fingers.
- Place cookies on wire racks to drain.
- Quickly top with sprinkles.
- Let dry 24 hours before storing in airtight containers.