Recipe by katie in the UP
This is another recipe I have used in our cookie exchanges. Posting it, so I can get rid of the piece of paper it is written on :) **UPDATE** I made these without the lemon extract...instead I used approx 3 tbls of lemon zest!! Perfect flavors of lemon and almond!!
- 6 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- colored sprinkles (mixed red, green and white!)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until light and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside. In another mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder; stir in oil and extracts. Gradually add eggs (dough will be stiff). Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- For glaze, combine milk and extracts in a large bowl. Add sugar; whisk until the glaze is smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly immerse 2 or 3 at a time into the glaze. Remove with slotted spoon (or fingers lol).
- Place cookies on wire racks to drain. quickly top with sprinkles. Let dry 24 hours before storing in airtight containers.
- Time does not include drying time.