Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a little different than regular spinach pie. I like adding the Italian flavors.
Make and share this Italian Spinach Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground sausage (hot or mild)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten and divided
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained well
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon jar-style minced garlic
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 (8 count) cans crescent rolls
- Brown sausage and onion, drain and return to pan. Add Italian seasoning and garlic. Add 2/3 of the beaten eggs, mix well.
- Add spinach, mix well and allow to cool.
- Lay flat the dough from both cans of rolls, do not seperate.
- Place one can od dough over bottom of a baking dish. Top with sausage mixture, then cheese. Place second layer of dough on the top; press sides together to seal. Brush top with remaining beaten egg.
- Bake at 350, app. 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
I am very much drawn to spinach recipes and can relate totally to KITTENCAL's comment that this recipe is just up her alley! Except that up my alley there's nothing hot or spicy. I made this dish with a ground pork/veal mix from my wonderful Italian butcher's. Since I was opting for a milder flavouring, I knew this would be more flavoursome than any ground sausage I could have used. I doubled the garlic and added a finely chopped leek to the onion in step 1 as I love the subtle blend of flavours when onion, garlic and leek are combined. My main obstacle in making this recipe was the fact that it had crescent rolls as an ingredient which I hadn't initially noticed. I cannot buy crescent rolls and was not entirely satisfied when I used croissants in their place in another recipe so, guided by the information in the directions which suggested that the crescent rolls were being used in much the same way as one might use pastry, I improvised and used filo pastry not in the base but just on top. I'm not sure how close I was to the spirit of the recipe but the end result was not one but two very delicious spinach pies! I loved the Italian herbs in this and confess to having added rather more than the one teaspoon, using a blend of oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme. The filling was rather similar to one I have used in making meatloaves and the pastry topping really made this a most flavoursome pie that I'll certainly make again. Next time, I'm going to follow up KITTENCAL's suggestion and use some feta, and I'd also like to add some pine nuts. Thank you for sharing this delicious and inspirational recipe, Kizzikate. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
This is just up my alley, I *love* dishes with spinach, it just couldn't get any better than this! I also added in some cayenne pepper and used spicy Italian sausages, make certain to bake this on the bottom oven rack so that the bottom crescent layer bakes out nice and crispy, I am going to give this a try using feta cheese next time, this is a definate repeater, also you may want to increase the garlic amount ;-) I love this recipe, thanks for sharing Kizzi!