Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can make these ahead and put them in the oven just ahead of dinner but have them a little further away from the broiler so they warm through before browning. You can serve them as an entree or part of the main course. Great for a luncheon
- 12 spinach leaves, stems off,washed & cooked,chopped very fine
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- flour (for dusting)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- Combine the chopped spinach, ricotta, half the parmesan.
- egg, salt, pepper& nutmeg.
- Mix well.
- Form the mixture into bantam hen size egg shapes, use a spoon and the palm of your hand to mold them.
- Roll lightly in the flour.
- Meanwhile get a large pan of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Drop in the gnocchi 3 or 4 at a time.
- simmer gently and when they rise to the top (1-2 min).
- remove and place in a well buttered oven proof dish.
- When all are cooked melt butter and pour over the gnocchi.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Broil for a few minutes until cheese is golden.