Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I love chicken and rice dishes and this one is easy to prepare and at the same time impressive looking to serve to guests. Hope you enjoy.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Combine salt, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon and turmeric in small bowl. Rub spice mixture on both sides of chicken. Place chicken on plate; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes per side or until browned. Remove chicken; set aside.
- Place carrots, bell pepper, celery and garlic in same skillet. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add rice; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add seasoning packet from rice mix and broth, bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat; stir in raisins.
- Pour into prepared dish. Place chicken on rice mixture; sprinkle with almonds.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and rice is tender.
I loved the flavors of the rub and the color from the turmeric. I did decrease the amount of the cinnamon to give just a hint of it. It comes out looking beautiful with color from the carrots and peppers. Nice crunch from the almonds, a perfect sweet touch from the raisins; altogether a really great dish that I'll be making again soon.