Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
My mother-in-law has a life-long friend named Rosie, a dear Italian woman, who shared with us her family recipe for a hearty spaghetti sauce. I usually omit the ribs, as I'm not that much of a carnivore! Oftentimes I just make the meatballs with the sauce. No need to fry or bake the meatballs, add just add carefully to the hot sauce, then simmer.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 6 pieces stewing beef
- 3 Italian sausages
- 1⁄2 lb boneless rib
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 30 ounces water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 loaf Italian bread (3 days old)
- 1 lb hamburger
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, Grated (a large handful)
- 1 dash garlic salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Pour oil into skillet. Cook stew beef, sausages and ribs until brown.
- Add onion and continue to cook until the onions turn golden brown.
- Remove all meats except for the beef and put them in a dish and cover to keep warm. Add beef, onions, tomato paste, water, and spices, to a heavy bottomed dutch oven, mixing well.
- Cover and cook 1½ hours. Return meats to pan and cook an additional ¾ hours.
- Add warm water to the dry bread. Squeeze out 2 handfuls and put into large bowl.
- Add hamburg, eggs, Romano cheese, garlic salt and pepper.
- Mix all of the Meatball's ingredients together. Shape into meatballs and add to sauce 25 minutes before the sauce is done. Watch carefully for burning.