Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Homemade spaghetti sauce with meatballs
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 white onion, diced split in 2 equal parts
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Set aside 1/2 of the diced onion, bread crumbs 1/4 lb of Italian sausage, 1 3/4 lb ground beef, 1 Tsp garlic salt, 1/2 Tsp salt, 1/2 Tsp pepper and egg for meat balls.
- Pour olive oil in large pot. Add, 3/4 lb of the Italian sausage, 1/4 pound on the ground beef, garlic, and half of the diced onion to the pot. Heat on medium heat until meat has been browned.
- Once the meat has been browned add the diced tomato's and tomato sauce. Stirring until well mixed. Continue to use medium heat allowing sauce to bubble. Add the remaining spices not previously set aside. Stirring them in until well mixed.
- It should taste pretty good at this point but is still runny, that is why now we are going to add the tomato paste. Stir until well mixed.
- Drop heat on the burner to low, cover pot and let simmer.
- Now to the meatballs. In a mixing bowl large enough to hold all the meat add 1 3/4 lb ground beef, 1/4 lb ground Italian sausage, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1 Tsp garlic salt, 1 Tsp salt, 1/2 Tsp black pepper and egg.
- Stir all of the ingredients in until the meat has a good consistency and you feel everything has been mixed evenly.
- Once mixed, take meat and make into balls it usually makes about 20 golf ball sized meatballs.
- Once done making the meatballs, take out a medium sauce pan and place it under medium heat.
- Add meatballs to the pan browning the outsides of the ball but not quite cooking it all the way through.
- Once completed browning the meatballs add them to the sauce that is simmering.
- Continue to let the sauce simmer for another 60 minutes once the meatballs have been added. The longer you let it simmer the better.