Here's a great recipe from my sister-in-law. She makes it for us everytime we go up to visit. It is so great to come in from a full day of sight-seeing to a house that smells so good! Now when I make it I freeze the extra for easy leftovers.
- 2 lbs sausage or 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 medium onions, chopped (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook sausage, onions, mushrooms, and garlic in skillet over medium heat for 10 minutes. Drain. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover. Cook on Low 8-9 hours.
I followed the recipe using one pound of mild sausage and a pound if ground beef. I did not put mushrooms in it either. My wife and I thought it was incredible. We have plenty of sauce left over and will use it for dipping and possibly as a base sauce for pizza.
Excellent spaghetti sauce. I used 1 1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 pound Italian sausage. Cooked 6 hours in my slow cooker. Wonderful aroma and flavor. Love the mushrooms. Thanks for sharing this. Will make again, for sure.
Wonderful spaghetti sauce. I chopped the veggies the night earlier. Then in the morning, browned the beef and veggies and poured everything in the crock-pot. When we came back it was smelling great. Thanks nennny :) Made for cookbook tag game