Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked,drained
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 medium chopped bell pepper (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, un drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄8 pinch rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice concentrate
- to taste brown sugar, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a heavy sauce pan.
- Sauté garlic and onion, until onion is transparent.
- Then add bay leaf, ground meat, cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, water and tomato paste, tomato sauce.
- Add all the spices and then lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer, uncovered for 1 to 2 hours or til sauce is desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf and then add brown sugar to taste.
- Note: If you use ground turkey use two beef cubes or two teaspoons of beef soup base (use no salt).
It didn't quite work for me, I think next time I will try crushed Tomatoes or maybe use 1/2 Lb more meat.
delicious and fairly easy to prepare
Very tasty sauce. I chose to use ground chicken, so added the beef soup base. :)