Cheryl Thebeau-Blevins's Note:
Vita Viviano D'Artega. Authors note: Many voyagers who visited Italy became interested in this delicious cake. Perhaps the company that produces the popular Amaretto di Saronno liqueur also introduced the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- 1/2 cup pecans or 1/2 cup walnuts, ground
- 2 teaspoons pecans or 2 teaspoons walnuts, ground
- 1 package pudding (included butter recipe cake mix)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup amaretto di saronno liqueur
- 6 maraschino cherries
- 1In a small bowl, beat 2 egg whites until foam.
- 2Gradually add brown sugar.
- 3Beat until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- 4Fold in coconut and ground nuts.
- 5Spread meringue on bottom and up sides of generously greased 10-inch tube pan to within 1 inch of the top of the pan.
- 6In large bowl, blend cake mix, sour cream, Amaretto, water, whole eggs, and remaining 2 egg yolks at low speed until moistened.
- 7Beat 2 min.
- 8at high speed.
- 9Pour batter evenly on top of meringue in pan.
- 10Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes until done (use toothpick test). Cool upright in pan for 10 minutes.
- 11Loosen sides and invest into serving p late. Cool completely.
- 12Spoon glaze over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides.
- 13Sprinkle with remaining 2 tsp. ground nuts and garnish with cherries.
- 14In a small bowl, blend all ingredients until smooth.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sour Cream Saronno Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1684 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3687.7
- Calories from Fat 1794
- Total Fat 199.4 g
- Saturated Fat 99.1 g
- Cholesterol 900.7 mg
- Sodium 1577.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 446.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.5 g
- Sugars 370.1 g
- Protein 53.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
amaretto di saronno liqueur