Recipe by Cheryl Thebeau-Blevins
Vita Viviano D'Artega. Authors note: Many voyagers who visited Italy became interested in this delicious cake. Perhaps the company that produces the popular Amaretto di Saronno liqueur also introduced the recipe.
Top Review by Sally
Excellent cake! But pay attention to the ingredient list. My husband read the ingredient as pudding and we baked it first time out with pudding. The cake flopped. Second time, we baked with a yellow cake mix with pudding included, and the cake turned out fabulous!!
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, ground
- 2 teaspoons pecans or 2 teaspoons walnuts, ground
- 1 package pudding (included butter recipe cake mix)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup amaretto di saronno liqueur
- 6 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 2 -4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, beat 2 egg whites until foam.
- Gradually add brown sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Fold in coconut and ground nuts.
- Spread meringue on bottom and up sides of generously greased 10-inch tube pan to within 1 inch of the top of the pan.
- In large bowl, blend cake mix, sour cream, Amaretto, water, whole eggs, and remaining 2 egg yolks at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 2 min.
- at high speed.
- Pour batter evenly on top of meringue in pan.
- Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes until done (use toothpick test). Cool upright in pan for 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides and invest into serving p late. Cool completely.
- Spoon glaze over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tsp. ground nuts and garnish with cherries.
- In a small bowl, blend all ingredients until smooth.