Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Hearty Italian soup , with a surprise ingredient. Chopped dill pickle! If you can't find a 15 oz can of beef broth , don't sweat it! Use a 14.5 if that's what you find. Soup is very forgiving!! :)
- 1 lb Italian sausage, browned (I only use 1/2 pound)
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes (or chunked)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 45 ounces beef broth
- 1 cup mushroom, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced (any color will do)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cheese tortellini
- 1 cup dill pickle, chopped
- In a dutch oven , fry your sausage until no longer pink.
- Add Italian tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, mushrooms, pepper, onion, and garlic.
- Simmer, on low ,for approx 2 hours.
- Add cheese tortellini and chopped dill pickle.
- Simmer, on low, an additional hour and a half or longer. (the longer the better!).
This is VERY good and so easy to put together! I only changed the green pepper to red as I don't like green peppers! I hope people don't get turned off by the dill pickle because you don't even taste it! It's a wonderfully hearty soup that I will make again!